It’s that time again. For goblins and ghosts, pumpkins and pranks, and things that go bump in the night. But as responsible pet owners, please ensure that yours aren’t innocent victims of Halloween’s fun and frolics.
Consider the following suggestions to keep your pet safe not sorry.
1. Keep candy out of reach of your dogs and cats. Chocolate, especially dark or baking chocolate, can prove toxic to them. Candy containing the artificial sweetener, xylitol, can also cause problems. If you suspect yours have ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435
2. Although such Halloween favorites as pumpkins and decorative corn are considered relatively non-toxic, they can still produce an upset stomach if eaten in quantity.
3. Keep wires and cords from lights and other decorations out of reach of your pets. If chewed, they might be cut or burned or receive a potentially life-threatening electric shock.
4. Festive, carved pumpkins with candles inside can be easily knocked over by your pets and a fire started. Curious doggy paws and kitty whiskers in particular run the risk of being singed or burned by a candle flame.
5. Don’t put costumes on your pets unless you’re certain they’re comfortable being decked out — not stressed out — by putting on the “glitz”. Or opt instead for draping festive Halloween theme bandanas around your pets’ necks.
6. Keep all but the most social pets in a separate room when “trick or treaters” come to call. Even then, take care that yours don’t dart outside into the night when the door first opens.
7. Should your pets “pull a Houdini” and vanish, ensure they’ve either been micro-chipped or are wearing collars and up-to-date tags for proper identification and a swift return to your anxious arms.
With some strategic planning beforehand, you and your precious pets can be assured of spending the safest and happiest of Halloweens together.